Flood Insurance

Don’t let your home and belongings get washed away.

A common misunderstanding is that damages caused by floods are covered by homeowners’ insurance. In fact, standard homeowners’ policies exclude coverage for flood damage. Flood insurance covers losses directly caused when an excess of water on land that is normally dry affects land containing two or more properties.

Contact Us

Working with Bryn Mawr Trust to purchase flood insurance will help protect the things you value.

A common error people make in understanding flood insurance is they believe any damage caused by water is covered by flood insurance. This is not typically the case.

Other things to consider are those items not covered by building or content coverage, such as temporary housing, decks, landscaping, fencing, pools and hot tubs, valuable papers, cars, and personal property kept in basements (even in finished basements).

While contents coverage may vary, building coverage generally protects structures including:

  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Water heaters and furnaces
  • Built-in appliances (refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves)
  • Permanently installed carpeting
  • Permanently installed flooring, cabinetry, and shelving
  • Foundation
  • Fuel tanks, water tanks, pumps
  • Detached garages